4.03.2015

Health Activist Writer's Month Challenge: Good Samaritan




Galatians 5:22-23New King James Version (NKJV)

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering (patience), kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

Not just because it is in the Bible, not just because it makes people feel good and not because I like to brag about it - but being kind is something I crave, seek and try to manifest in others daily. It is an outward expression of love and practice towards agape love, which is a love that is beyond unconditional. It doesn't warrant a response or action, it just is.
Now, whether I choose to do this through a smile (which I'm told I do naturally, so there's really no effort behind that), a encouraging word, an inspiring social media post, or paying someone's toll on a road trip; kindness has no boundaries, no measured cap off or quantity limit. 
Kindness is also not a perception of perfection either. I've been told I'm a goody-two shoes or even a hypocrite because I never talk about my bad days or express publicly when I'm angry. I don't see a need in that because the world has enough of it. I find the times that I do conform and share with the world a dark part of my heart - especially something petty and trivial, the already miserable and downtrodden feed off of that. I don't want to perpetuate the sadness and heavy-hearted justifications of inflicting pain that already goes on in people's lives. I want to cultivate the culture of living life to its fullest, abundantly and victoriously. 
There was a time kindness was extended to me on a level of agape love that I never thought I'd experience and it's one of the few times I remember in my life that I purposefully sought this kindness. It was right after I was diagnosed with HIV. I had been trying to re-establish a relationship I had broken with a high school sweetheart and we were dealing with trust issues. In the midst of this, I had to sit him down and tell him that all our efforts were about to be for naught because I was diagnosed with HIV and I knew he wasn't going to want to be with me. We hadn't been intimate so there was no actual risk factor and I figured he'd flee realizing this. In that moment, he did get up to leave, walked out my house, go in his car and drove off. I pressed my back to the door in understanding, relief and began accepting that this was the life I was going to have. A life of loneliness, rejection, and shame.
I don't know what it was that sparked the next thing to happen, but as I walked away from the door, there was a knock. I was so caught in my blanket of despair, I never heard anyone drive up or approach the door. I looked out the window to see my high school sweetheart's face. I gingerly opened the door and he said these words: "The things that you've done prior, I have forgiven whether they were intentional or not. This, you didn't do or ask for on purpose and I am here for you and we can get through this." Through our relationship that lasted for the next three or so years, he always told me that there was nothing I could say or do that would make me stop loving him and I hold that to be true twelve years later as we are still the closest of friends. That was a level of kindness I needed, appreciated and treasure. It empowered me to know that I can be loved, I am not a social outcast and I am worthy. His selfless act of kindness and desire to learn more about HIV showed me that I can extend the same to others, even if something in the universe tells me they don't deserve it. 

Kindness, bearing good fruits, is a chain reaction. When you plant the seeds, someone else will come along and water them, another will take the time to fertilize them, someone else will shine their light on them and eventually, you have evidence of all the goodness you took from yourself and put into the lives of others. 
Embrace healing, Give inspiration, Live victoriously.


No comments:

Post a Comment