11.20.2014

Month of Gratitude - Sleep

I am thankful all 365 days of the year but during this #MonthOfGratitude I will be narrowing it down and sharing with you all things I am grateful for! Since there are 26 letters of the alphabet and Thanksgiving is on November 27, this is how it goes: 

Post something you're grateful for that begins with each letter of the alphabet each day leading to Thanksgiving. It's a great way to focus on the blessings in your life and not the stresses of the holiday season! 

So this post is a day late BECAUSE of it's topic. I am grateful to the highest heavens for #Sleep!!! Yesterday I attended the ADAP (AIDS Drug Assistance Program) Workgroup meeting. Many changes in healthcare are on the horizon, state by state... and Florida, we have a lot of work to do! There was robust conversation, my wheels were turning at 100 mph, and my calendar suddenly filled with more conference calls, meetings and webinars in that 6 hour timespan. I'm grateful for the opportunities to be more involved as an advocate, but the way my inspiration is set up...sleep is important on so many levels.

Then, I'm involved with a girls ministry through my church. Their energy alone and desire to serve Christ fills me and drains me all in the same day. I spent my evening with them after the ADAP meeting. Let's just say my eyes were crossed by the time I got home. 

Oh and let's not forget about my family. I love them. I will do anything for them. So if mom needs to go to the grocery store, I am there. If my sister needs a ride to work 2:00 in the morning, I'm there. If my nephew needs a ride to the airport, I got him. This is why I love the work I do because I can weave in helping my family in between trying to save the world. And then there's coffee.

But when I have a day where there is nothing written on my calendar and my daughter is gone to school...and my husband is busy doing random things...there's this thing I love called a nap. I don't take regular ol' cat naps either. I prepare and equip. 
Thermal blanket? Check. Comfy pillow? Check. Eye mask? Where's my eye mask???? Oh, under the pillow. Check and check. Alarm set? Nope. Check. Ringer off? Check. Door and blinds closed? Check. Deeply snuggled fetal position on my left side with arm hooked under comfy pillow and thermal blanket pulled directly under my right ear? CHECK. Head snuggle pillow...zzzzzZZZZZZZ.


I don't take naps, I own them. Sleep to me is not only essential but a hobby. I can't do it often, but when I do, I'm all in! What do you do to prepare for naps? What causes you to need one? 



No comments:

Post a Comment