11.02.2014

Month of Gratitude: Breakfast

November is becoming my favorite month of the year, aside from my birthday month in June. I am thankful all 365 days of the year but during this #MonthOfGratitude I will be narrowing it down and sharing with you all things I am grateful for! Since there are 26 letters of the alphabet and Thanksgiving is on November 27, this is how it goes: 

Post something you're grateful for that begins with each letter of the alphabet each day leading to Thanksgiving. It's a great way to focus on the blessings in your life and not the stresses of the holiday season! 

So, today I am thankful for #breakfast. It's my favorite meal and the most important. The weird thing is, I don't eat it when I'm supposed to. I usually make breakfast for dinner. Omeletts, especially. I also have the habit of eating leftovers for breakfast. Especially pizza. Something about cold pizza and hot coffee sets me on the right track to a great day. 

The one breakfast item that I haven't tried but want to soon, is quiche. I think I've eaten one, but I want to learn how to make one. Any great recipes would be appreciated. 

I think my love for breakfast started in childhood. I wasn't your usual cereal and milk child. I actually ate that for dinner. I'm an INFJ, I can't help it. Anyway, my grandmother wasn't the fanciest cook, but she was a southern cook and when she made grits, it was never just grits. There was sausage, eggs, toast, biscuits or flatbread, and on a god day we'd have hash brown. She made corn beef hash sometimes, but I never could stomach it. Anyway, there was an art to eating this spread and it usually involved mixing your favorite items into your grits. That was the life and to this day, no matter what, if I have grits and eggs, the two must be combined. 

When she passed in 2006, one way of grieving was to cook this and eat it just like she did. I could feel her there, wiping down the kitchen counters with bleach and fussing about how slow I eat. I was just savoring your work Janma. 

Ahh, here's to breakfast. Whether it's a smoothie, a protein bar, a four egg omelette or just a simple bowl of cereal... Eat up, be thankful for a start to your day and a full stomach!


No comments:

Post a Comment